Lighthouse of A Coruna o Tower of Hercules, at A Coruna.
Built at Trajanus age -2nd century- and known as farum Brigantium, it was rebuilt and restored many times, last one at 1970. In spite of all, it shows a beautiful neoclassical design and looks acceptably like the original one.
It is surprising that the lighthouse does still work, being the only one on the world with a Roman origin and basis. It does work since year 1847.
At one of the rocks close to this building this inscription was found:
It means: "Devoted to Mars. Gaius Sevius Lupus architect of Aeminium, lusitan, fulfilling his promise" and is supposed to be information on the architect who designed the lighthouse.
With a square plan it had a basic distribution in four rooms covered with barrel vault made of Roman concrete opus caementicium. These inner rooms were very high and were vertically communicated through a perimetral slope that raised with several turns up to the superior floor where the lamp stood.
Original design for this slope is a mistery. There are many hypothesis:
Because of the very carefully restore at 1971, this slope can be imagined at the slope cornices around the lighthouse. Access is done today with a staircase built at 17th century at the inner part, between Roman vaults.
Anyway, inner and outer façades were composed by great ashlars, opus quadratum. Actual covering of ashlars is 0,60 m. wide and hide original Roman construction, very spoilt.
Superior Roman floor, lost today, had a cylindrical plan covered by a dome. It was substituted by a structure with an octogonal plan at 18th century.